Chandra Manning. 6-12 Instructional Facilitator. Asheboro City Schools. NC. USA

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Daybook and Interactive Notebook Tips

"Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of tasks, purposes, and audiences."

The words above are Writing Anchor Standard 10 from CCSS in Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects. Yep, that's right. Routine writing is an expectation for subjects beyond just English/Language Arts.

This summer, I used a daybook for everyday writing during our extensive writing professional development experience. I was sold. It helped me with reflection, revision, and a quickly referencing important terms, ideas, and notes. Although I love tech ed, it was really valuable to have this low-tech task. Not soon after my daybook experience, I read an Edutopia article, "The Lowdown on Longhand: How Writing by Hand Benefits the Brain," which provided even more support for using handwritten journaling and note-taking.  

The weekend before school started I was unable to find any traditional marble composition books in the back-to-school section! I hope that was indication that many of you are using them in class, too. Here are just a few tips to help in your implementation:
  • I found a tip on Pinterest (yes, I'm obsessed with Pinterest, too) to link technology to your notebook: create and print QR codes for videos or sites that students can access with a smart phone or tablet for additional practice. (Photo Source: Teaching...the art of possibility Blogspot)
  • Encourage students NOT to tear out sheets. It is actually beneficial for students to see the progression of their thinking. Too often, students go with their first idea, when often times, third or fourth thoughts are far better (Gallagher, 2011). 

Happy writing,
Chandra

No comments:

Post a Comment